Decisions. Decisions. Decisions.
Wedding planning requires you to consider a million tiny details. The months leading up to your wedding should be spent making memories with your best friend and enjoying the process, not Googling for hours on end. And so, *drum roll please*, Wedding Tip Wednesday was born! Throughout this series, we will be sharing our best tips to make your wedding day everything you’ve dreamed of and keep it as STRESS FREE as possible. If you’re late to the party, you can catch up on the whole series below!
- To First Look or Not To First Look?
- The Great Debate: Indoor Vs. Outdoor Ceremony?
- Choosing The Perfect Getting Ready Location
- Getting Ready – Essential Details to Bring
- 3 Reasons You Should Write Each Other Letters on Your Wedding Day
- Do You Really Need a Second Shooter on Your Wedding Day?
- Who Should Help You Get Into Your Wedding Dress?
- Make Time To Take In The Moment Together
- How To Dress For Your Engagement Session
Engagement sessions are one of our FAVORITE things to photograph. There’s so much excitement and emotion in this special time where you get to call each other “fiancé”, and we want to celebrate and remember all that joy and love from each session. One of the most common questions our couples ask before their engagement session is, “What do we wear?” So today we’re sharing some of favorite tips and tricks to look your best on camera!
Hair And Makeup
Let’s be honest – wedding and engagement pictures are probably the largest portrait investment you will ever make in your entire life. So, to get the most out of that investment, what better time to indulge in a little pampering than your engagement session? We KNOW weddings are expensive and it can be SO tempting to try to cut this expense out, but IT. IS. SO. WORTH. IT. to let an incredible hair and makeup artist take care of you. This single tip will make a HUGE impact on the way you look (and feel!) during your session. Here’s just a few of the MANY reasons to treat yo’self. (Where are our Parks and Rec people?!)
- This is a fantastic way to see how your makeup translates on camera. Many of our brides even choose to do a trial run of their wedding day makeup for the engagement session – perfection!
- It eliminates stress the day of your session. It never fails that you just can’t get your hair to lay the way you want or curl just right when you’re actually going someplace special or getting pictures done. When it matters most, leave it to a professional!
- It makes your whole experience more luxurious. In the midst of the stress of wedding planning, it is SO nice to just let yourself relax and be taken care of! You don’t get to have a professional photoshoot every day. Make the most of it and enjoy the experience!
Dress It Up
If you ask us, there’s no such thing as being too dressed up for engagement photos! For the ladies, our favorites are long flowy skirts or cocktail dresses and high heels. (Pro tip: Heels make your legs look INCREDIBLE, but they aren’t always the best for walking to an epic location. Bring a pair of flats or flip flops to wear from spot to spot – your feet will thank you later!) We also recommend women opt for sleeves. An elegant long or 3/4-length sleeve is a soft, romantic, universally flattering option for ladies – unless you want to show off all your hard work in the gym! For the guys, slacks and a suit jacket, ties, dress shoes, and button down shirts are all ideal options. There’s a reason if you look at GQ Magazine over the years, most of the men are dressed similarly… Because dapper never goes out of style. And don’t forget to accessorize – a nice watch or leather belt can really tie everything together!
When choosing colors for your outfits, we recommend selecting lighter tones and more muted shades. By avoiding ultra-bright, bold colors, it will help bring all the attention to your faces and not so much on what you’re wearing. A softer color palette of soft pinks, muted blues, and neutrals like heather gray, creams, leather brown, and white fits beautifully into almost all natural outdoor environments and won’t clash with the backgrounds. Your outfits will look the most cohesive on camera when the color palettes coordinate, but don’t necessarily “match” – we typically recommend you each wear a different dominant color rather than both of you wearing shirts that are exactly the same hue.
In the end, the most important thing is to have fun! Wear something that makes you feel confident and beautiful, and try not to stress. We promise you (and your fiancé… really!) will have a blast and get pictures to remember the way your love story started FOREVER, and that’s really what this session is all about!